Arepas with Chorizo, Egg and Avocado
- Recipe Serves: 12
- Prep Time : 20 min
- Cook Time : 30 min
- 1 cup no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Knorr® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken flavor
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 package (19 oz.) arepas, cut into 24 wedges
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 ounces chopped chorizo (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1 large avocado, thinly sliced into 24 slices
- Process tomatoes with Knorr® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken flavor in blender until smooth; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook arepas in batches, turning once and adding 1 Tbsp. olive oil as needed, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Arrange on baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in same skillet over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add chorizo and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until chorizo is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add tomato mixture and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp. olive oil in large skillet. Cook egg substitute, stirring frequently, until cooked through.
- To serve, spoon chorizo mixture onto arepa wedge, top with egg substitute and avocado slice. Serve, if desired, with sliced fresh fruit.
TIP: For a meatless option, use finely chopped Serrano pepper to taste instead of chorizo.
|Serving Size||1 serving||Servings Per Container||Value||Amount Per Serving||Nutrient Type|
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Vitamin D||0 mcg|