Once you bite into our Beef Arepas, you won't want to stop. Enjoy beef mixed with your favorite Latin flavors in between warm arepas. This is a beef recipe you won't want to miss.
- Recipe Serves: 6
- Prep Time : 20 min
- Cook Time : 1 Hours 10 min
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 lb. flank steak, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped, (about 1 1/2 cups), divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. Knorr® Beef flavor Bouillon, divided
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 Tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® Spread
- 1/2 Tbsp. Knorr® Beef flavor Bouillon
- 2 cups arepa flour , (pre-cooked white cornmeal)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- For BEEF, heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat and brown steak. Add 1/2 cup onion and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Add water and 1 1/2 teaspoons Knorr® Beef flavor Bouillon and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and cook, covered, turning once or twice, until steak is tender, about 50 minutes.
- Remove steak to cutting board; reserve cooking liquid and set aside. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium-high heat and cook remaining onion until golden. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Stir in reserved cooking liquid and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Bouillon. Remove from heat.
- Shred steak with 2 forks, then add to skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until liquid is almost evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in green onions and cilantro and remove from heat.
- For AREPAS, stir together water, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® Spread and 1/2 tablespoon Knorr® Beef flavor Bouillon in medium bowl until bouillon dissolves. Gradually stir in arepa flour. Knead in bowl until mixture comes together to form a smooth dough. If dough sticks to hands, knead in more flour, a teaspoon at a time.
- Form dough into 6 balls; gently pat balls into 1/2-inch thick, 3 to 4-inch wide disks pressing any cracks together to form smooth edges.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook arepas, in batches if necessary, turning once, until golden, about 6 minutes a side. Remove arepas and keep warm.
- To serve, carefully split arepas about 3/4 of the way through with sharp knife. Divide beef mixture evenly among arepas.
TIP: Try stirring 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese into arepas dough.
TIP: To use Knorr® Beef flavor Bouillon Cubes in place of Knorr® Beef flavor Bouillon, substitute 1 bouillon cube for 1 tablespoon granulated bouillon in Beef mixture and use 1 bouillon cube instead of 1/2 tablespoon granulated bouillon in arepas dough.
|Serving Size||1 serving||Servings Per Container||Value||Amount Per Serving||Nutrient Type|
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||140|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||52 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Vitamin C||25 %|
|Vitamin A||10 %|